Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tradition

My dad grew up in the tiny town called Manassa. It's in the southern part of Colorado. The population is about 1,042 and is exactly one square mile in size. Every summer in July, a celebration is held on the main street called the Pioneer Days. The 131st annual celebration was held last year. It is held closest to July 24th and the celebration is in honor of Brigham Young and fellow members of the LDS church in Salt Lake.

When my parents were little they went with their parents and family every year. And for as long as I can remember we went every year until I was about 18. I joke around and say I'm related to half the town. But the funny thing is it might be true in some way or another.


Now that my family moved back a year ago we decided that we want to try to keep up with this tradition with our kids. My parents now live literally across the street from the LDS church and right on main street. So Jessalyn and I are making a trip out there next week for her first Pioneer Days celebration! Unfortunately Jordan wont be able to make it this year due to school. But we have many more years ahead of us.

The celebration is usually on a Friday and Saturday. There is a parade with a bunch of floats. The whole town gathers on the streets to watch the parade. After the parade we usually go over to the hamburger stand and eat some lunch in the park. Later on in the evening is when we get to go to the carnival and ride some rides. We won't be doing much carnival riding until Jess is bigger but it's still going to be lots of fun.
The funny thing about this whole celebration is that I never actually knew what the Pioneer Days were as a kid. I just thought it was a fun parade and carnival and time to spend with my cousins. But now actually knowing the meaning of the celebration makes it much more special and exciting. I've been surrounded by the church my whole life with out really knowing it. It just goes to show how everything happens for a reason.

No comments: