Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bird Watching

I have become quite a nerdy bird watcher. Shortly after we moved in we noticed a nest had been built right above our door. One day when we got home I looked up and saw little tiny baby bird beaks crying for mama. It was so cute I made Jordan take a picture for me.

Everyday I would check on the birds. I can't believe how fast they grow and change.

It was only a matter of days they started looking like actual birds and started growing feathers.


During the day the birds were left alone but during the night mommy and daddy bird came to watch over their babies. Here is the mommy bird above our door next to her babies.

And this is the daddy bird just across the way above our neighbors door.

Just a few weeks later they changed even more.


And this was just last week. I can't believe how adorable they have gotten and how fast it happened. I was so curious to find out what kind of birds they were so I googled it but there were too many to look through. So the geek that I am I joined a wild bird forum and posted the pictures asking people for help to identify our baby birds. It turns out they are called barn swallows. I googled the name and found out all about our little friends living above our door.

Aren't they cute!



Yesterday was their first day out of the nest. They were flying all around then coming back. I got kinda sad and told Jordan I want them to stay forever.
And just now this is where they were hanging out.The rail right outside our door. Just hanging out. They don't quite fit in their nest anymore. Our baby birdies have grown up so fast. I'm not ready for them to leave the nest yet :( haha!



No comments: