Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wagons and Bowling Balls


My first ever blog post! Jamie has had this blog now for our family for about 7 years and this is my first time ever posting anything. Blogger virgin no longer. Wow. I thought this was as good as time as any to get a lot off my chest and share some life experiance. I might even try more posts in the future. I know, you are on the edge of your seat. 

Well, I have held off posting about my weight loss the past couple months as to avoid annoying my facebook news feed with weekly weight loss updates. Sorry for this novel, but a lot of this is for those in the same weight loss wagon as me.

Many know that I have always struggled with my weight and yo-yo dieted since high school. Always having success then inevitably falling off the wagon like clock work. The past couple years I didn't just fall off the wagon, I fell off hard, while being run over multiple times by multiple candy bar filled wagons, then fell off a cliff into an ocean of liquid sugar and sank into the abyss of refined carbohydrates. 

A lot of my struggle has to do with my high level of stress since going back to school especially the last two years. I have had several conversations with a few classmates of mine about the unforgiving nature of school. Unfortunately, students who struggle never get a gold star for average grades that don't necessarily reflect the amount of time, stress, and never ending exhaustion put in because you suffer from a very high level of anxiety that affects your test taking/memorization skills with seemingly the same amount of studying as anyone else, most times more. It just adds a level of unnecessary stress. Oh well. Grades don't always reflect intelligence or knowledge, or the ability to be a successful Doctor or Chiropractor. That's another discussion on how many things the terrible educational system get wrong. So with all of that said, mix stress and a difficult anxiety with unforgiving Chiropractic college, and what you get is a 70+ pound weight gain. Or, about 5 average size bowling balls. Wowzers 


As I mentioned a few months ago it was my goal to start incorporating better meals and juicing. That worked well and I lost several pounds over several months. But, I decided if I was going to be any kind of doctor who focuses on wellness and proper health, I would have to look and live the part before I graduate so I would need a stronger jump start. That's why this time feels different and will be my motivation for staying on the wagon, and not falling off.


Now, food is good. Indescribably good sometimes. Especially sugar. That's my weakness. Blue Bell Krazy Kookie Dough ice cream. Curse you, you beautiful creation. Little Debbie, this pains me to say this but we need a separation of sorts. No, of course I don't want a divorce. Till death to us part. Chilled Pepsi on ice in a large insulated cup. Get out of my life. Wait wait just kidding I love you, but our relationship has to be more casual now. I will still be enjoying the above but like anything really, moderation is the key. It has to be.


Sugar is a drug. This is a scientific fact. It can drive a man insane - refer to paragraph above


In August I was praying daily for guidance on what I could do to achieve my weight loss goals. I have tried everything in the past. I had lost near 10 pounds already and I didn't want another long road diet during school. But at the same time, I was also at a point where I was dealing with my anxiety in a way that allowed me to focus like I haven't been able to before. I was working at Dr. Sheffers office on a Saturday bringing patients back as usual and then started explaining a diet called "ChiroThin" the doc provides in office to a patient that many previous patients have had a lot of success with and then it just kinda hit me. I was given my answer. I would need to suck it up and do something challenging in order to start getting truly healthy again. In September I started the diet and I have now lost 44 pounds overall. Or, just over 3 average size bowling balls.







Wow, no wonder I couldn't go up 3 flights of stairs without heavy breathing. Oops. I will now start and continue a maintenance period till the end of the year while trying to enjoy the holidays then go hard again in January and hope to lose a lot more.








My purpose for finally posting is to hopefully spread some motivation to those struggling to lose weight for whatever reason and the desire to lose it. Don't let the superficial opinions of others be your motivation or likewise, destroy your motivation. Do it for yourself for your own happiness, to live a long healthy life. I want to get there eventually. I don't want a heart attack at 50. Thats what scares me the most.  I don't want diabetes. I don't want to be a statistic. I want to see all of my children's big life events and achievements. I want to grow old with my wife.

Speaking of, I am blessed beyond belief to have a wife that has never uttered even a fraction of negativity regarding my weight. Always saying that she loves me and is attracted to me no matter what and that she supports me in my weight loss because she knows and understands my struggles but also my desire to be healthy.

For those who continually fall of the wagon, get back on! Just as I hope I find motivation to reach my ultimate goal next year and stay on the wagon forever, I hope and pray the same to those who need it. I couldn't even button the shirt pictured in the big-belly-McButter-pants "before" picture and now its a little big. So most importantly let your success be your continued motivation, as it has mine!


God Speed,


Jordan






2 comments:

Mare said...

This is Brian Bergstrom, thanks for posting this. Of all my current struggles with life and school my weight is the one I am losing at the hardest. I would love to know more about the diet/plan you are using.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. Congratulations with the weight loss. I struggle with it myself.